- guitar hero;
- king quest.
The biggest event of the month in the gaming industry was the announcement of Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard. The deal is far from complete, but players’ imaginations are already spinning with speculation as to what the new owner will do with Activision Blizzard’s rich library of IPs. The head of the Xbox department, Phil Spencer, gave an interview showing that there are plans to revive many of the old series.
In an interview with The Washington Post, Spencer expressed excitement about the brands Microsoft will soon own. He mentioned series like witches, king quest and guitar hero, which gives hope for new installments.
Want to know which brands Microsoft will gain from the acquisition? We recommend our article:
- We’ve created the ultimate list of Activision Blizzard brands to be acquired by Microsoft
Especially witches sounds promising because Raven Software, the team responsible for the series (as well as heretic), is now owned by Activision Blizzard and will therefore become property of Microsoft once the deal closes.
It is one of the oldest PC game development studios that remains active but has only supported the development of for many years call of Duty. The last game independently developed by this developer was Singularity in 2010. Many fans make fun of the whole situation:.
Fans are hoping Raven Software will spread its wings again under the new ownership. Source: Twitter.
In case of king quest and guitar hero it won’t be that easy. The Sierra studio responsible for the former has long been dissolved, and the brand’s mother, Roberta Williams, has been retired for over two decades. In contrast, the creators of the latter brand, Harmonix, were acquired by Epic Games last year. However, Microsoft probably wouldn’t have any trouble finding new teams capable of reviving both series.
Of course, these are just three brands and it certainly won’t end there. The fact that Phil Spencer mentioned them makes them sound like good candidates to return to the gaming market.
Officially, witches is dead, but fans have been successfully growing it for several decades
Hexen HD is the perfect project to start your adventure with the series.
It’s been over two decades since we got a new edition of witches. However, fans of the brand cannot complain about the lack of activity as the series has been blessed with a very active modding community. If you want to get acquainted with its achievements, we recommend starting four projects:
- Hexen HD acts as an unofficial remaster. It improves graphics, changes textures, introduces dynamic lighting and HDR, updates controls, fixes bugs and ensures compatibility with modern operating systems. This is the perfect mod to start your adventure with this brand.
- Legend: Farewell Edition is a cross between a remaster and an expansion. On the one hand, it improves practically every element of the game – we get nicer graphics, more modern controls, additional options, weapons, spells and monsters. On the other hand, it adds new adventures to the campaign and extends it twice.
- Serpent: Resurrection is a mod that introduces a new story campaign, offers several dozen hours and enriches the gameplay with light RPG elements.
- Scattered Evil effectively turns the game into an action role-playing game based on tabletop principles dungeons. It also features an extensive campaign and most of its elements are new.