This May, the Embracer Group took over most of Square Enix’s western studios and brands. Among them was deus ex, along with the Eidos Montreal team responsible for its last few installations. Now some interesting reports about the future of the series have surfaced online, from the usually very knowledgeable journalist Jeff Grubb, who revealed them during an episode of the Giant Bomb Game Mess Mornings podcast..
- According to this information there’s a good chance that Eidos Montreal’s first project under the wings of Embracer Group will be a new installation of deus ex.
- Discussions about the project are at a very early stage, but the developers are said to be burning for work.
- The folks at Eidos Montreal want a real challenge, and one of the goals they set for themselves is to “do what Cyberpunk 2077 failed to achieve.”
- Nothing is definitely decided yet, but just having such conversations is a big deal for the developers. As they confess, when Eidos Montreal remained owned by Square Enix, there was no chance of a new one deus ex.
It is worth recalling that over the past few years, fans of deus ex had been quietly hoping for its return. Square Enix promised that it had not abandoned the brand, but only sent it on vacation. Statements from developers at Eidos Montreal, however, show that in reality the Japanese publisher had no plans for any new installationsso the acquisition of the studio along with the brand effectively saved the series – unless Grubb’s reports proves to be false, of course (although the chance is slim, he is a reliable source).
After buying back Square Enix’s Western teams and intellectual property, Embracer Group listed as the most important series to be developed, including Tomb Raider, deus ex other Legacy of Cain. Crystal Dynamics is already working on new installation of Lara Croft’s adventures, so it seems natural that Eidos Montreal’s next project will be another deus ex.
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Review – Lesser Sibling of Human Revolution
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – game guide