Yesterday CD Projekt RED finally released patch 1.5 for Cyberpunk 2077as well as its next-gen upgrade for Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5. We have been waiting for this moment for a long time, so we decided to check what was the reception of these novelties among the players.
Player reactions on social media are positive
The game’s official YouTube channel published four new videos yesterday. The website has been hiding negative reviews, leaving only thumbs up visible for some time now, but this can be circumvented with plugins.
Looking at the numbers, it’s clear that positive reactions to the patch and next-gen upgrades are valuable.
Reception of CP2077 videos on YouTube (data at time of writing)
The situation is similar on Reddit page dedicated to Cyberpunk 2077. Reactions are mostly positive, and the forum is full of praise for such elements as:
- Visual improvements on PS5 in the next-gen upgrade, which makes a big difference compared to the PS4 release running on PlayStation 5,
- Players are also excited about the option to skip the Braindance tutorial and…
- the ability to change a character’s appearance after the prologue.
Improvements in action
Social media were also filled with materials showing the improvements made to the game, including:
- new water effects,
- shadow improvements in patch 1.5so that our character’s shadow is no longer soon – we can see the character’s hairstyle and headgear,
- nicer interface and map,
- non-scripted sandstorms,
- Police chasing after gang members,
- police officers responding to NPCs shooting in the streets,
- Improvements to vehicle mechanics and driving interface,
- NPCs using umbrellas in the rain.
Not everything works perfectly – new issues
Patch 1.5 has greatly improved the game’s level of refinement, but it hasn’t removed all the bugs. What’s more, the new content isn’t completely polished either. For example:
- You can only buy apartments in V’s apartment. It is no longer possible to open this page in a new apartment. Furthermore, the main protagonist apparently has a different email account in each apartment, because emails are not sent to all apartments. This causes, for example, that the message from Panam after the romance will be received only in V’s original apartment.
- There is an impressive TV set in the Glen apartment. However, the spell is broken when you turn it on, as the picture displayed in criminally low resolution. This is because the devs simply stretched the video from the tiny TV in V’s original apartment.
- The turntable turns off the TV and vice versa.
New content is DLCs
Finally, as an interesting note, most of the new content comes in the form of DLCs. Elements such as additional apartments, a photo mode for Johnny Silverhand or changing V’s appearance in the mirror are treated by the game as separate DLC modules, which can be seen by opening the extras menu.
What’s more, at least on consoles, they are not part of patch 1.5, as our editor downloaded the PS5 version and was prompted to download the update afterwards. However, he first fired up the game without the patch and all the DLCs were already installed.